Friday, September 25, 2009

Apple Mummies and Clown Covered Eggs

I was sitting at my desk working on my computer when Rabbi Kugielski came in to tell me that there was something happening in the 7th grade that I should know about. The 7th graders were mummifying apples. Under the direction of our Upper School History teacher, Dr. Whitney Kennon, and with the help of our enrichment teacher, Mrs. Cindy Massey, the 7th graders were replicating ancient Egyptian preservation techniques - only with apples rather than humans. Each student drew a face on their apple to give it a more humanesque form, measured its pre-burial weight, and then mummified it in a mixture of baking soda and salt. Next week, they'll play archeologist and dig up the (hopefully intact) remains of their royal fruits.


















As I left the students who were making mummies out of apples, I noticed that in the room next door our 6th graders were busy making clowns (and
a variety of other things) out of eggs. This wasn't history, but Hebrew, and our kids were bringing a story they had learned with Moreh Shimshon to life.

Want to hear the story? Just click on the video below...



No comments: